Postdoc involvement in outside activities, notably consulting, is subject to the following requirements:
- Consulting agreement: Must include a signed copy of the Harvard consulting addendum, which should then be sent to the compliance unit of the FAS Research Administration Office, at this address: OutsideActivities@fas.harvard.edu.
- No use of Harvard resources: No Harvard facilities or other resources may be used in doing outside consulting work, and this work must be done a postdoc's own personal time.
- Cannot engage in consulting activities during Harvard 100% appointment on sponsored awards: If the postdoc is expending 100% of their effort on sponsored awards, they do not have time to engage in outside activities. This is a red flag for federal agencies.
- Update Conflict of Interest (COI) disclosure: If in the reporting population (e.g., NIH or NSF “investigators”), postdocs will need to update their disclosure in Harvard's compliance system, OAIR, to include consulting effort and salary.
COI management plan if engaged with faculty member’s startup company: The COI management plan requires the Divisional Dean’s signature as well as a disclosure to lab members/peers.
- Visa considerations in the case of international postdocs. Please check with HIO advisor to make sure the consulting activities are not in contravention of the terms of your visa.